Wednesday 17 April 2013

Spring break. Upon arrival: Amsterdam Schipol

Amsterdam. One big reason to visit this city is for seeing tulips at Keukenhof garden. Unfortunately, due to very cold weather, this year's winter period dragged longer. When I first arrived at Amsterdam Schipol (schipol means airport in dutch language) on 3rd April 2013, I could only see nothing but gloomy scenery as the trees were not yet liven up yet.The airport has good connection to various places via several transport modes. You can easily board trains or buses to arrive at your respective destination, provided that you ask the information desk officer for guidance. I was absolutely clueless on learning the route map provided on the board. 

Luckily we had a frequent shuttle bus to fetch us inbound and outbound from the Ibis Budget Amsterdam Schipol to the airport. The bus comes every 20 minutes and you can check the timetable at the notice board. I repeat, LOOK AT THE TIMETABLE THERE. Once you're aware of the times, you will definitely make the driver bus' life easier. Why do I stress this matter out? Because the driver bus was so emotional and could not be bothered to talk nicely and smile when people asked him. I learned the lesson; though it was not me who got scolded by him. 

I amsterdam monumental plaque erected outside the airport attracted my attention. Since we still had some spare time left before the shuttle bus came, we trashed the boredom of waiting by taking photos at the alphabets. What annoyed me a bit was wherever and whenever we wanted to take pictures at one place, there would be more people coming after that. It is not that we own the place that we don't allow people to be nearer, but every time before arriving to a spot, no one will ever come. And once we were there, the place will be filled with people no matter what reason they had. It was more like being a catalyst to places we go.

My friend and I was so hungry upon our arrival at the hotel. If we were in Newcastle, we could just order any food online. However, staying in Amsterdam with off-roaming phone and language barrier as all menu were written in Dutch was a little bit harder. We had to keep re-translate the order to know the details. The order came quite late as the shop closed 40 minutes before we placed an order. We even seek help from live chat person called Jennifer who first greeted us in Dutch. I think no one in the hotel has ever ordered a meal from a delivery team, and we did. We even waited for the dispatched item in pyjamas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment